Every parent frets over their child’s whereabouts, wondering where they are and what they’re doing when they’re away from home. However, with the technology available on many cell phones, you can now rest easier with some digital safeguards. There are a number of apps that, when combined with open family communication, may give parents the edge when it comes to keeping track of your child’s whereabouts.
These 10 apps will help you track everything from how fast your child drives to where he’s hanging out on the Internet and for how long.
- (FREE) FBI Child ID: This is every fearful parent’s must-have app. You can keep a store of detailed information about your child, which is instantly accessible at all times. The information that you store can quickly be forwarded to authorities, should your child go missing. With FBI Child ID, if you even lose sight of your child at the mall, you can show security guards a detailed profile that will help track their whereabouts in no time. The app has a database of hints and tips on child safety, and is free to download, too. Download iOS | Android
- (FREE) Find My Kids ~ Footprints: With Find My Kids you can virtually track everything that your kids are up to while they’re out of your line of sight. If they are speeding, the app sends you notifications. When they cross a fence, you’ll know about it. The app is completely automatic, so you don’t have to do a thing. Your kids cannot disable the app, giving you full peace of mind. If you wish to, you can also share waypoints with your partner or trusted friends. Download iOS
- Family Tracker: If you are concerned about any of your children’s whereabouts, Family Tracker will let them know. The app costs $3.99 and works by sending a repetitive push message every 60 seconds. Once the message is acknowledged, the location of the child is updated on GPS and sent to your device. You can access Family Tracker from either your Apple device or any browser. Download iOS | Android
- (FREE) Life360 Family Locator: Some of the key features of the free Life360 app include the ability to track non-smartphones, safety point and threat alerts and family chat. If your child has arranged to go to a particular location, the app allows you to track their progress and lets you know when they have arrived. Download iOS | Android
- Best Baby Monitor: Use two Apple devices with this $3.99
app to create your very own baby monitor. You can hear, watch and speak to your
baby from any location that has WiFi. Best Baby Monitor will work with a
combination of iPhone and iPad, or iPhone and Mac. If you already own these
devices, this is a great way to save on a baby monitoring device.
- iCam Webcam Video Streaming: If you’ve ever wanted to install a home surveillance system but found it to be too expensive, iCam – Webcam Video Streaming is the option for you. It only costs $4.99 for the app and can connect to multiple webcam feeds of your choice. iCam will even send you notifications if you are linked to a motion detecting feed whenever there is a potential alert. Download iOS | Android
- Alarm.com: Provided you have compatible systems in your home, Alarm.com will allow you to control security cameras, alarms and alerts; switch off lights, set the temperature, and even tell you when the kids get home from school. There are a number of custom features, too, which allow you to set alerts for important reminders, such as leaving the garage door open, or someone changing the temperature on the thermostat. Best of all, the app is free. Website http://www.alarm.com/
- (FREE) Mobicip Safe Browser: This is a free browser with
parental controls, which allows you to monitor and control what your child
accesses on the Internet. Your child’s data is encrypted the moment they log
onto an unsecured connection, helping keep them safe from hackers. The app uses
a number of filters to restrict access to undesirable content, all of which you
Download iOS | Android
- (FREE) SecuraFone: This free app allows you to set boundaries for where your kids go and how fast they drive. As soon as they breach the rules, you receive an automated call letting you know. SecuraFone uses the built-in GPS in your child’s iPhone, and even sends alerts if the phone becomes inactive. Parents can view up to 90 days of data that help you analyze your child’s habits. Download iOS | Android
- Game Time Limit: Another great app for keeping track of
your child’s virtual whereabouts, Game Time Limit allows you to dictate how
long he spends playing games on the phone. Once the time is up, you don’t have
to worry finding him because an alarm appears on the phone that only you can
switch off with your passcode. The app costs $0.99, however, it is a great way
to keep you from having to constantly chastise your child to finish playing
Disclaimer: Child Quest International (CQI) does not receive funding from any of these companies/apps, nor do we receive funding from the source site. This post does not endorse these products; CQI shares this information in an effort to inform parents of additional resources that are available to you and your family. CQI encourages all families to read the “fine print” for all devices and apps.
Edited by Anthony Gonzalez for Child Quest International